The Importance of Effective Communication in Sports
An important element of mental toughness which is often not thought about is our ability to communicate effectively, both on a 1-2-1 basis and in groups. In some individual sports, this skill is arguably not as important as it is team sports or in the workplace. However, you will still be required to assert yourself with your coach or team on occasions so it shouldn’t be forgotten about. In team settings it is an essential skill that can be developed and is critical if you are to fulfil your potential. Today Jamie Forrester, Paul McGee and Mark Bennett highlight the need to have interpersonal confidence where different social situations that we find ourself in are explored.
Key Learning Points:
- Asserting yourself with team-mates and coaches in professional football is vital.
- If you are being criticised by someone consider this question – “Would I take criticism from someone I wouldn’t take advice from?”
- As a coach, is the quality of your communication aligned to what individuals and the team are trying to achieve.
- We expect people to reflect and learn from experiences but we don’t teach them how to.
- Parents should consider what is success for themselves and for their children.
Connect with David Charlton
To Listen to the Full Podcast Episodes
Other Resources to Help You
Click the button below to join The Sports Psychology Hub a Facebook group that David hosts to help ambitious athletes, serious sport coaches, sporting parents, sports psychologists and mental game coaches to support each other.
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769