How To Create Better Decision Makers On The Football Pitch
UEFA B Certified Football Coach | Elevating Athletic Excellence Through Motor-Cognitive Training
Felix is on a mission to sculpt a new era of athletes, his focus converges on synergizing elite cognitive skills with physical training. Leveraging a rich foundation in different training methodologies, he pioneers innovative motor-cognitive training approaches to refine not just the physical, but also the mental prowess of athletes engendering a generation that excels in strategic, on-the-spot decision-making under pressure.
Mental toughness development is all about helping people deal with pressure better. In general, you’ll see sports psychology practitioners advocate psychological skills training to create better decision makers in this regards. Our toolkit includes visualisation, cognitive restructuring, strategic goal setting, relaxation and sports hypnosis.
In today’s episode however I introduce a relatively new concept, cognitive skills training where Felix Lehmann, a UEFA B Certified Football Coach and co-founder of Cognigoals discusses how our brains can be trained systematically. We discuss 3 main elements to cognitive skills training; authentic two-footedness, game intelligence and creativity. Enjoy tuning in!
Key Learning Points:
- When there’s pressure on football players from opponents, with little space or time, players use their strong foot because it feels better, cognitive training seeks to change this.
- We help create new comfort zones for the weak foot with systematic training.
- Game intelligence in football describes the ability to act appropriately and generate optimal solutions in different game situations.
- If a football players cognitive flexibility has improved, as well as their inhibitory control and working memory, they will be able to perceive and process information a lot quicker.
- Self-awareness is critical for players, “as a coach I want football players to be able to observe themselves better.”
- Adaptability is a secret weapon for football players, every game situation is different, so you have to adapt the best that you can. Therefore, cognitive training focuses on this where exercises and patterns that we use change regularly.
Connect with Felix Lehmann
Connect with David Charlton
Relevant Soccer Related Podcast Episodes
Other Valuable Soccer or Football Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769