How to Support Young Footballers
Edu Rubio is a highly motivated football coach experienced in team management and coaching. Where he has spent time coaching at Valencia C.F., Chelsea Football Club and is now a technical consultant at Crystal Palace Football Club.
Edu is highly skilled in the development of players & team performance. He is a fan of motivational interviewing and always seeks to breed winning and forward thinking mindsets where ever he works.
If you’re a football coach, player or parent of a young player or simply a fan of football you’ll enjoy this. I speak to Edu Rubio who has coached at Valencia and Chelsea and now works as a technical consultant at Crystal Palace. The conversation flowed as we chatted about the challenges young academy footballers have and how to best support them. We unpick Edu’s interest in Motivational Interviewing and how this has helped his coaching. We also discuss the role of the coach and parent in having a positive impact on young footballers.
Key Learning Points:
- Football and other elite sporting environments can be unhealthy environments to be in because of the constant comparison that occurs between players.
- As a coach how to use motivational interviewing to improve your coaching style.
- How to use motivational interviewing to build a psychologically safe environment.
- Cultures without ego or hierarchies can be very helpful.
- By protecting individuals from setbacks and challenges you will not be supporting an individual to optimise their potential and build their levels of resilience.
- Success is about being content within yourself and taking the learning from all situations.
Connect with Edu Rubio
Connect with David Charlton
To Listen to Football or Soccer Podcast Episodes
Other Football or Soccer Resources
Click the button below to join The Sports Psychology Hub a Facebook group that David hosts to help ambitious athletes, serious sport coaches, sporting parents, sports psychologists and mental game coaches to support each other.
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist located near Durham and willing to travel Internationally. Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769
Search Our Sports Psychology Website
Join Our Online Community Now!
"The Mental Edge"
Are you an athlete, coach or parent that would like to learn how to create sustainable high performance?
Receive my free fortnightly email, where I share proven Sports Psychology and High Performance tips and strategies.
If you want some support and motivation straight to your inbox, then fill in your details below.