Sports Psychology Tips: For Better Golf Use a Growth Mindset
Are you frustrated that you're not playing better golf, more consistently?
In my previous post I discussed different characteristics connected to the fixed mindset and showed how some golfers will react to different situations. In my opinion these golfers are unlikely to produce their very best golf, at least consistently. Some of these features will be common with many golfers and even very accomplished players will be able to relate to these, especially those that feel that they have plateaued and not moved forward the way they feel they should have. This blog highlights a better approach and some tips along the way….
10 Ways to Play Better Golf
- Golfers who have a Growth Mindset believe that their golf game can be developed. They will view themselves like a muscle that can be trained. This mindset points to the desire to improve.
- They will take the time to sit back and work out what areas that they need to improve, perhaps seeking guidance from a golf coach, mentor, sport psychologist or mental skills coach.
- In the face of challenges that come their way they take them head on.
- In people’s paths, obstacles always occur, this golfer will not be discouraged.
- Setbacks will be seen as an opportunity to learn something new about themselves.
- Failures will not exist in their vocabulary, only outcomes. They’ll always retain that self-belief of being a “winner”.
- This golfer will view effort as something essential, they likely won’t notice how much time and energy they are spending on something in order to develop their game.
- Mastery of the task will be their aim and they will leave their ego behind not worrying what others think.
- Criticism or negative feedback will be seen in a helpful way. They won’t take this personally and will seek to learn.
- Other people’s success will be seen as motivating, this golfer will hunt down information to understand how they can best use the knowledge.
Benefits of Golfing with a Growth Mindset
There are too many benefits to list, however by introducing these ideas you are more likely to reach your potential and to beat your best scores consistently. The Growth Mindset will encourage positive momentum which helps you to keep learning. You will also feel a sense that you are in charge of your golfing destiny, which is a great place to be!
Feel free to get in touch if you want to play your best golf more consistently with a growth mindset or for regular updates to help you improve your golf performance and enjoyment sign up to “The Mental Edge“.
One 2 One coaching with a Leading Sport Psychologist, David Charlton, near Newcastle Upon Tyne is available. Face to face, via the telephone, SKYPE or online via email.
Sport Psychologist located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769
Search Our Sports Psychology Website
"The Mental Edge"
Are you an athlete, coach or parent that would like to learn how to create sustainable high performance?
Receive my free fortnightly email, where I share proven Sports Psychology and High Performance tips and strategies.
If you want some support and motivation straight to your inbox, then fill in your details below.