Sports Psychology Tips: Developing a Premier League Mindset
Peter Ramage is an Assistant Football or Soccer Coach for Phoenix Rising FC in the United Soccer League. He is a former footballer who learned all about developing a Premier League mindset by beginning his career with Newcastle United before moving up to the first team where he played alongside, Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy and Shay Given between 2004 and 2008. He then moved to Queens Park Rangers ending a 12 year association with Newcastle United. Peter also played for Crystal Palace, Birmingham City, Barnsley Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League, Coventry City before ending his playing career in the USA with Phoenix Rising FC.
In this episode, Peter and David discuss a variety of elements to Mental Toughness with a focus on confidence. Specifically, Peter’s belief in his ability and interpersonal confidence, where he shares stories about standing his ground in some difficult situations when training with top international stars such as Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy and Kieron Dyer. Peter also talks about the importance of having a good support network around you and using it well. Tune in to find out why it’s a game changer for yourself as a footballer or athlete who is looking to get the most out of your talent.
Essential Learning Points From This Episode
- How to deal with a lack of game time as a young footballer.
- When you’re a young player training and playing with star players – how to assert yourself to gain their respect.
- How to deal with criticism from teammates, coaches and fans.
- Coping with being dropped and pushing yourself when you’re a squad player.
- Dealing with serious injuries and off the pitch challenges.
- How to approach your coach or manager when you’re an unhappy player.
- The importance of being honest with yourself and taking the time out to reflect on your approach and attitude.
- Having the courage to talk about your challenges and seek support.
Thank you for tuning in!
There are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, but you chose Demystifying Mental Toughnesss. We’re grateful for that.
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Sports Psychologist located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769
Search Our Sports Psychology Website
"The Mental Edge"
Are you an athlete, coach or parent that would like to learn how to create sustainable high performance?
Receive my free fortnightly email, where I share proven Sports Psychology and High Performance tips and strategies.
If you want some support and motivation straight to your inbox, then fill in your details below.