Observations: How Bad Do You Want It?
By working with David Charlton, you and your organisation will be better equipped to rise to modern day challenges and better informed to thrive on and off the pitch, course or court. Where he inspires individuals and teams to:
- Cope with pressure and challenges more effectively
- Maintain positive mental health
- Compete with confidence more often
- Manage your emotions better
- Improve your commitments levels
David is a Mental Toughness Practitioner, as well as a Health Care and Professions Council (HCPC) Registered Sport and Exercise Psychologist. He has successfully supported athletes, teams and organisations for over 10 years in order to ensure that they perform at their maximum more often.
He has a comprehensive knowledge around the development of Mental Toughness, a plastic personality trait, which determines or limits people to deal effectively with change, challenges and stressors. In today’s climate, during the Coronavirus pandemic this quality is becoming more and more valuable to individuals, teams and organisations.
In this solo episode, I look at commitment, a measure of mental toughness from different angles. Sharing excerpts from 2 previous episodes of Demystifying Mental Toughness with Steve Hackney and JJ Vallely, as well as discussing a quote from Arsene Wenger’s book “My Life in Red and White.” Additionally, I talk about what I see as a common challenge for youngsters who play in team sports. Having a high level of commitment coupled with low levels of interpersonal confidence.
You’ll find I challenge your thinking, giving out some resources and ask you to ask yourself some important questions. It’s an episode that athletes, coaches, teachers and parents can benefit from.
Some Questions to Ponder
- Are your levels of commitment congruent with what the best do?
- Do you know what the daily habits of top performers are?
- Are you aware of what is the right information for you and how you find it?
- Do you ask yourself why you practice or train a certain way?
- Do you set daily goals for your practice or training?
- When you practice or train do you let your emotions take over?
- Can your high levels of commitment spoil your enjoyment?
- Are you a highly motivated and committed yet struggle with communicating with coaches and team-mates?
- Do you question coaches?
- Are you a coach who often gets into comparison mode, comparing athlete A against athlete B?
Connect with David Charlton
Relevant Podcast Episodes
Relevant Blogs and Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769