Rehabilitation And Returning To Sport: How To Support Injured Athletes
Dr Carl Bescoby is an injury psychologist working at the intersection of injury, health, wellbeing, and performance. Carl works with injured athletes & performers through one-to-one consultancy and provides group workshops/psychoeducation to help cultivate a greater awareness of the psychosocial components of injury and rehabilitation to enable positive adjustment and growth throughout recovery and return to activity. Carl also delivers training to support healthcare professionals, clinicians, and physiotherapists with evidence-based psychological practice to support the mental health and wellbeing needs of service users.
Today’s podcast episode looks at how we as Sports Psychologists support injured athletes.
My guest, Dr Carl Bescoby, the Injury Psychologist, goes on to share his knowledge in our discussion about the psychological and emotional difficulties that athletes can face, especially in the case of long-term injuries. Strategies to help athletes during the rehabilitation process, as well as, how they can help themselves become psychologically ready to return to sport are highlighted.
Key Learning Points:
- The cultural side of some sports can contribute to some injuries, eg. playing through the pain barrier to remain in the team.
- When is an athlete psychologically ready to return to the sport should be considered by coaching staff.
- Suffering long-term injuries can be very difficult where athletes feel many different emotions similar to grieving such as shock, denial, anger, low mood, depression and acceptance in no particular order.
- Loss of identity can impact many athletes as they come to terms with their injury.
- It’s important to give athletes space to process difficult emotions and normalise the process, as a practitioner.
- Visualisation is one strategy that can help athletes return to their sport with their confidence intact.
Connect with Dr Carl Bescoby
Connect with David Charlton
To listen to relevant podcast episodes that link to Mental Health
Other Useful Resources linked to Mental Health
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769