13 January 2023
Helping You Gain A Mental Edge
How To Develop Your Resilience Levels So That You Can Perform Better
A common question I get asked is how will you help me as a Sports Psychologist?
Naturally, different athletes bring to us different challenges, so in this case we’ll look at the athlete who wants to play their sport with a mental and physical intensity.
- Starting off on the front foot.
- Playing on their terms.
- Taking the bull by the horns…
I’m sure you’ll agree to be able to do this – it starts in the mind, with an intention to execute your plans.
But, how do we get to that point? If we were supporting you in this case, we’d be looking at your energy levels, helping you make sure they are topped up as well as showing you different mental skills that you can integrate into your routines.
After working with you we’d then help you personalise a checklist that works for you from the following statements so that you pick up some helpful habits:
- I made sure that I went to bed early.
- I had adequate naps to aid my recovery.
- I engaged in active rest days to keep my muscles and blood moving.
- I did my mental reps in the build up to completing to raise my energy. By Visualising myself playing with purpose and intensity.
- I considered what I expected of myself ahead of competing in relation to specific situations (For example, in football or soccer – when to press, tracking back, my movement off the ball).
- Any doubts and worries I processed by journaling.
- I sought some peace and quietened my mind with mindfulness meditation.
- I used cue words such as “relentless” and “brave” to get me going.
- I made sure I had a good time and plenty of laughs to fill me with positive energy this week ahead of competing.
- In the warmup and at different times when I competed, I made sure my body language was positive and dominant. “Chest out, head up” I said to myself many times.
IN ADDITION TO THESE HELPFUL HABITS, THAT WE SUPPORT YOU WITH, YOU’LL ALSO FIND LISTENING TO PROFESSIONAL CYCLIST AND PERFORMANCE NUTRITIONIST ELLEN MCDERMOTT’S INSIGHTS BENEFICIAL IN THIS WEEK’S DEMYSTIFYING MENTAL TOUGHNESS PODCAST EPISODE.
Today Ellen McDermott shares her journey from a novice to becoming an elite professional cyclist, taking part in the 2023 World Gravel Championships in Italy. She discussed challenges that she has faced and how she has dealt with them. She also shares why a well thought out nutritional plan is vital to improve your performance levels.
OTHER EPISODES WILL ALSO HELP YOU BUILD USEFUL MENTAL HABITS INCLUDING:
OTHER WAYS TO HELP YOU START 2024 WITH IMPROVED HABITS
Do you know why you do what you do? WHY do you coach? Or if you compete WHY? If you’re a Sport Psychologist WHY? Is your WHY crystal clear? Traps people who are uncertain about their WHY often can fall into are:
- Repeating past mistakes
- Setting inappropriate goals
- Becoming distracted
Don’t’ be one of those people this year and read this blog for some pointers!
This case study highlights how we’ve supported a young rugby player to get over fear and self-doubt against bigger more physical teams.
AND CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING
SPORT SPECIFIC RESOURCES FROM OUR SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY LIBRARY TO HELP YOU
BUILD YOUR RESILIENCE LEVELS IF YOU PLAY FOOTBALL OR SOCCER
We’ve recently started a regular newsletter with tips and tricks for those interested in the psychology of football or soccer. Feel free to sign up today.
3 WAYS TO LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR WORK:
Online Sports Psychologist | Mental Performance Coach who supports many highly motivated athletes, young and old, developing their skills or who are already highly skilled so that they gain a mental edge and get the most from their talent across the globe from USA/Canada to Great Britain and Ireland to UAE, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, using ONLINE Video Conferencing.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence
Host of Demystifying Mental Toughness Podcast
Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub
Author of The Mental Edge
With over a decades’ experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to transfer their skills from training to competitive situations, under pressure.
T: +44 7734 697769