Mental Strength: What You Can Learn About Resilience From The Special Forces
Jon Watkins is the co-owner of the multi-award-winning Resilience Development Co. and former special forces soldier. A specialist resilience and transformation coach who develops the skills and behaviours that enable people and teams to perform, adapt and thrive during periods of high pressure, change and uncertainty.
In today’s episode I chat with Jon Watkins a resilience and transformation coach and a former special forces soldier. Jon shares insights into some challenges that he overcame in the military and the importance of mindset. Goal setting is introduced, concepts such as self-leadership, natural resilience, adaptive resilience and psychological safety we also touch on and a lot more. Enjoy tuning in!
Key Learning Points:
- The selection process in the special forces produced likeminded mentally and physically robust individuals who shared collective goals and went on to create a fantastic environment to work in.
- Self-leadership was a huge part of the special forces.
- My comfort zone was pushed to its maximum.
- When considering goal setting, relating it back to your values is essential.
- Chunking down your goals is a skill that anyone can develop.
- Mental Toughness is built around that perseverance, never giving up element to it and being disciplined to live through your values.
- Resilience in general is about bouncing back.
- Natural resilience is the resilience that we’re born with.
- Adaptive resilience is heavily influenced by our environment.
Connect with Jon Watkins
Connect with David Charlton
Other Useful Podcast Episodes
Other Useful Resources linked to Resilience
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769