How to Increase Mental Fortitude: Secrets from an Olympian
Dan Steele was an American bobsledder and track and field athlete who competed from the early 1990s to 2002. He competed in two Winter Olympics, where he won the bronze medal in the four-man event at Salt Lake City in 2002. Dan was also one of the most successful collegiate track and field coaches in America. Sadly, Dan no longer coaches as he suffered a serious stroke in 2017.
Our guest today is very inspirational, Dan Steele was an excellent decathlete and an Olympic bronze medalist in Bobsleigh. He was also one of the most successful collegiate track and field coaches in America. In this episode, we discuss his journey, some obstacles that he overcame along the way as an athlete. Psychological strategies that he used to keep himself going in difficult times were also touched on and how he overcame fears. Dan also goes on to share some great advice for coaches of any sport, to get the most from their athletes.
Key Takeaways include:
- Physical size as a youngster shouldn’t be a hinderance with the right mindset.
- The mental side of the decathlon is very important, being able to remain calm after poor results in events.
- Your internal self talk is hugely powerful.
- I’d see competing and tight finishes as exciting.
- Bobsleigh was a like riding a crazy rollercoaster where you wondered if you’d die at the end of it.
- As a coach, being open minded immersing yourself in learning will help you get the most from your coaching abilities and from your athletes.
- Being honest with yourself as an athlete is vital.
- Performance anxiety and mental health are two very different things and can get confused.
Connect with Dan Steele:
Connect with David Charlton
Helpful Podcast Episodes
Other Useful Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist located near Durham and willing to travel Internationally. Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769
Search Our Sports Psychology Website
Join Our Online Community Now!
"The Mental Edge"
Are you an athlete, coach or parent that would like to learn how to create sustainable high performance?
Receive my free fortnightly email, where I share proven Sports Psychology and High Performance tips and strategies.
If you want some support and motivation straight to your inbox, then fill in your details below.