How to Create a Culture of High Performance in Professional Rugby Union
Paul Phillips | Founding Member, Board of Advisors: High-Performance Rugby Union | Coach Educator | Performance Rugby Consultant | Performance Coach | Author.
With more than 17-years experience working with players, coaches, clubs, regions and organisations – as a Performance Coach, Educator and Consultant. With purpose, to positively influence growth, in many forms, to achieve individual and team development, progress, and success.
In episode #161 I chat with Author, Coach Educator and Performance Rugby Consultant, Paul Phillips. We discuss his experiences of developing high performance cultures in professional rugby. Paul also shares some research on tackling and how to overcome fears with helpful triggers as well as other fascinating insights.
Key Learning Points:
- In Rugby at the lower levels fear is very prominent.
- Establishing values and behaviours that are coupled with a vision for the team and club is an essential part of culture development.
- Why can’t we generate behaviours before thoughts and emotions?
- James Clear’s two-minute rule in the book Atomic Habits is a good way to start to develop habitual behaviours.
- The size of the opponent in rugby can be a big factor in activating fear.
- Visual, kinaesthetic and auditory cues and triggers are helpful in dealing with fear when tackling.
- Using metaphors such as images of animals or superhero’s is a helpful trigger for adults and children.
- The development of positive relationships between players and coaches is a hallmark of high performing teams.
- Extrinsic environments are rife largely down to the way messages are communicated from senior staff and coaches in clubs and organisations.
- Too much focus on external factors results in lower emotional control.
Connect with Paul Phillips
Connect with David Charlton
To Listen to Rugby Orientated Podcast Episodes
Helpful Rugby Orientated Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769