How To Transfer Your Golfing Skills To The Course
Will Shaw is a PGA golf professional who provides golf coaching and sport science services for elite players. Alongside his applied work, Will lectures at Leeds Beckett University on the topics of sports biomechanics and skill acquisition. Will completed his Masters degree in Sport & Exercise Science at Leeds Beckett University, and in 2020 completed his PhD at the University of Leeds in Biomedical Science. He is also the co-founder of Sport Science Insider.
There’s a common theme across a lot of sports where athletes find it hard to transfer their skills from training or practice to competitive events and tournaments, when the pressure is on. Today I chatted to Will Shaw, a highly qualified PGA golf professional and sport’s scientist who shares with me his insights. It’s a must listen if you’re into golf or if you’re looking to understand better what things to consider when learning how to transfer your skills to the golf course. We discuss how to build your confidence and resilience, planning and executing your practice as well as a whole lot more.
Key Learning Points:
- You must spend a good amount of time hitting balls to get some volume, as well getting on the golf course.
- The range needs to be more representative of the golf course, where you hit a driver every now and again, lies are slightly different, wind comes from different angles, playing to different targets testing your decision making.
- Ask yourself what am I going to practice and why.
- How you look at statistics impacts your self-confidence.
- When planning your practice adopt a 70/30 rule being flexible.
- There are many difference ways to practice, technical, performance, creative or process practice.
Connect with Will Shaw
Connect with David Charlton
Related Podcast Episodes
Podcast Ep047: David Charlton – Mental Game Tips for Putting
For More Resources so You Can Shoot Lower Scores on The Golf Course
Click the button below to join The Sports Psychology Hub a Facebook group that David hosts to help ambitious athletes, serious sport coaches, sporting parents, sports psychologists and mental game coaches to support each other.
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Online Golf Performance Psychologist who supports many golfers around the world from the USA, United Kingdom, Ireland, United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Australian and New Zealand, using ONLINE Video Conferencing.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence, Host of Demystifying Mental Toughness Podcast and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over a decades’ experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, faster.
T: +44 7734 697769