How to be an Effective Sports Psychologist in Elite Professional Football
Michael Caulfield is one of the most experienced Sports Psychologists in the UK, with over 30 years working in sport, business and academia. After fifteen years as Chief Executive of the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA), he retrained as a Sports Psychologist after working with that extraordinary group of sportsmen and women. He currently enjoys working across a range of sports, with a big interest in football where he consults in clubs such as Premier League Football team, Brentford FC and has had the good fortune to work with Gareth Southgate, Steve Bruce and Dean Smith.
This week I chat with HCPC Registered Sport Psychologist, Michael Caulfield about his route into the field and his work in elite professional football with managers, players and multi-disciplinary teams. He shares fascinating insights into his work, the importance of being courageous whatever your role. Michael has been fortunate to work with Gareth Southgate, Steve Bruce and Dean Smith in the English Premier League so has some great stories and advice to offer.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
- Michael’s route into Sports Psychology came after being the Chief Executive of the Professional Jockey’s Association.
- The importance of first impressions, building and maintaining relationships as a Sport Psychologist.
- Rejection and failure is a part of life, being able to bounce back with “courage” is a quality that can be developed and is essential if you are to prosper.
- The ability to park your own ego is essential when you are a Sport Psychologist.
- Being comfortable in your own skin when dealing with people, especially bigger names is valuable for you to prosper.
Connect with Michael Caulfield:
Email: [email protected]
Connect with David Charlton
Helpful Podcast Episodes
Other Useful Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769