Before, During and After Professional Football
Danny Thomas is a former professional footballer who started his career as a trainee at Nottingham Forest and Leicester, making his debut in the Premiership against Newcastle United. He went on to maintain a career in the game playing for a number of clubs including A.F.C Bournemouth. He is now a Business Development Executive at Nimbus Maps and Podcast Creator and Host for the Back of the Net and Beyond Podcast where Danny interviews guests about their transitions from sport into other careers.
In this episode I discuss with former professional footballer Danny Thomas, about the psychological qualities that helped him break into and maintain a career in professional football. We also went on to talk about his debut, and we discussed the challenges of transitioning out of professional football and into the workplace.
Key Learning Points:
- Becoming a professional footballer and then sustaining a career are completely different things
- For me it wasn’t just football, football, football, I always wanted to focus and apply myself correctly in other ways
- I looked to generally challenge management, though not in a negative way. I was never afraid to ask questions.
- You have to deal with doing everything right, training well, sleeping well, eating properly and then sometimes not feeling right in a game and playing poorly, that’s football.
- On retiring from professional football, you need to put forward your transferable skills and how they’re going to translate into the organisation that your hoping to move into.
Connect with Danny Thomas
Connect with David Charlton
To Listen to Football or Soccer Podcast Episodes
Podcast Ep51: Peter Ramage, Brendan Pearson and Julian Dowe – Why Talking Matters
Other Football or Soccer Resources
Click the button below to join The Sports Psychology Hub a Facebook group that David hosts to help ambitious athletes, serious sport coaches, sporting parents, sports psychologists and mental game coaches to support each other.
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769