What Is Sport Psychology and How It Can Help You
Today’s episode #157 of Demystifying Mental Toughness is where my colleagues at Inspiring Sporting Excellence, Olivia Scott, Aditi Gandhi, Tom Short and Alexandra Harper all share what they feel Sports Psychology is and what Sports Psychology is not. I hope you enjoy listening to their insights and gain a better understanding of the field.
- Sports Psychology is used to find ways to improve performance.
- Sports Psychologists help people in a proactive way to improve as well as overcoming mental game barriers and blocks.
- It isn’t possible to think positively all of the time.
- In gymnastics mental blocks are common and a large role of a Sports Psychologist is to work with the gymnast and coach to ensure everyone is aligned to the same goal.
- Coaches can benefit from working with Sports Psychologists as they’ll improve their self- awareness, learn new things about themselves and gain new tools to support their gymnasts.
- Backing off from improving skills are important at times despite being very difficult for gymnastics coaches to do.
- Sports Psychology is a process, it’s not a quick fix.
- Many discussions between parents and children about their sport involvement and development often come from a good place but could be timed better, when emotions are less roused.
- In football Sports Psychologists can help coaches improve their players by drawing their awareness to specific aspects of their coaching and behaviour.
- Being a sounding board for coaches is also a key role of a Sports Psychologist.
- Sports Psychology is not the answer to all of your problems.
- Sports Psychology is about helping people with their thoughts, feelings and behaviours so that they can reach their optimum performance levels or enhance well-being.
- The person we work with has the answers within them, it’s our job to draw those answers from them.
- 6 sessions in most cases with a Sports Psychologist will be a big help to clients in reaching their goals.
Connect with David Charlton
Relevant Podcast Episodes
Relevant Blogs and Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769