How to Build Your Mental Toughness Through Skiing
Derek Tate has spent over 35 years involved teaching and coaching. The sport of Alpine skiing has been both the passion and the career over this time. His qualifications include the British Association of Snowsport Instructors International Ski Teacher Diploma BASI Level 4), PG Diploma in Sports Coaching and MSc Applied Positive Psychology (MAPP). In addition to teaching skiers of all levels, he educates and examines snowsport instructors, and offers mental skills and mental health coaching to individuals online and in person. He has also authored ‘Learn, Enjoy, Flow & Grow’ and ‘Six Steps for Training the Mind’.
Our guest today is Derek Tate, an experienced ski coach and author. We go on to discuss his book Six Steps for Training the Mind as well as mental toughness in snowsports. Derek goes on to share insights into differences in mindset between recreational and elite skiers, the role of fear, pushing boundaries and comfort zones, the impact of self-talk, getting into a flow state and a whole lot more.
- Fear is a common emotion for both recreational and elite skiers.
- The environment and weather on the slopes changes frequently making for unique challenges.
- Mental toughness when skiing is the ability to navigate, manage and overcome self-doubt, worries, concerns and circumstances that prevent you from succeeding without compromising your well-being.
- If mental skills were trained in the same way as physical skills or technical skills, there’d be a lot more people who are better prepared when skiing.
- Many people are distracted by the conversation they have with themselves.
- Mindfulness meditation and gratitude are very helpful skills skiers can benefit from learning.
- Getting into a flow state is hugely beneficial for your mental health.
Connect with Derek Tate:
Connect with David Charlton
Helpful Podcast Episodes
Other Useful Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769