Is Striving For Perfection A Good Thing In Gymnastics?
Dr. Alessia Bruno is a Clinical and Sports Psychologist, Mental and Performance Trainer specialising in Brainspotting and EMDR. She lectures at National Sport congresses and holds courses accredited by the Ministry of Health. She helps athletes and performing artists to overcome blocks, choking, slumps, yips, trauma and works with expansion to take people and their potential beyond to where it was before the issue.
Clinical and Sports Psychologist – Dr. Alessia Bruno
In episode 142 of Demystifying Mental Toughness, Dr. Alessia Bruno and David discuss perfectionism in gymnastics as well as across other sports and walks of life. We go on to look at healthy perfectionism, as well as the downsides to the trait where we share some advice for gymnasts, athletes in general, coaches and parents.
Key Learning Points
- Gymnasts are judged on their performances which can go on to impact their self-esteem.
- The intensity of their lives can mean some gymnasts run the risk of burnout.
- Characteristics of rigidity and control can lead people to be more vulnerable to other people’s judgments.
- Perfectionist traits can suck the fun out of sport.
- Social approval can be a big problem for some athletes where they spend a lot of time worrying about what others think.
- Striving for perfection can lead to excessive self-criticism.
Connect with Professor Alessia Bruno
Connect with David Charlton
Relevant Podcast Episodes
Other Relevant Blogs and Resources
IF YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S SHOW PLEASE SHARE
SUBSCRIBE AND LISTEN ON YOUR FAVOURITE AUDIO PLATFORM
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of them!
Global Sports Psychologist who is located near Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK and willing to travel Internationally. David also uses online video conferencing software (Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) on a regular basis and has clients who he has supported in USA, Canada, South America, UAE, Australian and New Zealand.
Managing Director – Inspiring Sporting Excellence and Founder of The Sports Psychology Hub. With over 10 years experience supporting athletes, coaches, parents and teams to achieve their goals, quickly.
T: +44 7734 697769